History In The New Testament
Is the Bible a reliable historical record?
THE HUMANIST'S SUMMARY: Finally, the previously discussed contradictions can be cited as examples of historical inaccuracies. In each instance where the Bible contains a contradiction about an alleged historical event, at least one of the accounts is wrong.
The Bible writers were poor historians, let alone conveyers of messages from an infallible God.
We are getting close to the end of the humanist's web page that attempts to show the Bible cannot be trusted... and fails. With the above summary they are beginning their closing arguments.
Is The Above Statement True?
Have the humanists demonstrated there are contradictions or errors in the Bible? No. They have not provided any proof. Not one of their accusations has been proven true. Nothing.
Are the Bible writers poor historians? No. They are 100% relia-ble and accurate. The humanists have failed to prove there are any errors or contradictions in the Bible.
The Bible must meet a standard no other historical work is re-quired to meet. Since it claims to be the word of God, it must be 100% error free. The original autographs were inspired by God and are without error in all they affirm. We are reading English transla-tions that are not inspired. However, if we stick with recognized quality translations (such as the ESV, NASB, NKJV, KJV, and CSB), we are reading a translation that is accurate.
Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy - Short Statement
1. God, who is Himself Truth and speaks truth only, has inspired Holy Scripture in order thereby to reveal Himself to lost mankind through Jesus Christ as Creator and Lord, Redeemer and Judge. Holy Scripture is God's witness to Himself.
2. Holy Scripture, being God's own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: it is to be believed, as God's instruction, in all that it affirms, obeyed, as God's command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God's pledge, in all that it promises.
3. The Holy Spirit, Scripture's divine Author, both authenticates it to us by His inward witness and opens our minds to understand its meaning.
4. Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God's acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God's saving grace in individual lives.
5. The authority of Scripture is inescapably impaired if this total divine inerrancy is in any way limited or disregarded, or made relative to a view of truth contrary to the Bible's own; and such lapses bring serious loss to both the individual and the Church.
Would you like to learn more? Tab for more on Biblical Inerrancy
The Bible is true, accurate, and without error
NEXT Part of Their Final Summary:
Other Problems with the Bible
There are other reasons why the Bible should not be considered the word of God. They include, but are not limited to: the fact that we dont know who wrote most of it; the fact that much of it was written many years and in some cases many centuries after the events it purports to describe; its obscene passages; and its promises of eternal rewards for the ignorant and credulous and everlasting punishment for skeptics and investigators.
Finally, the harm that the Bible causes in peoples personal lives should be mentioned as a reason for rejecting the book. Its not uncommon to see media reports
about Bible believers committing bizarre, injurious, and sometimes deadly acts.
Some people use Bible verses to justify beating children, withholding medical treatment, handling snakes, drinking poison, chopping off body parts, plucking out eyes, driving out demons, withdrawing from the affairs of this world, renouncing the pleasures of life, and expecting the world to end.
If the Bible were not viewed as Gods word, these acts would occur much less often.
We'll look at these concluding remarks on the next page. Click here...
YOU DON'T HAVE A CHANCE
What you believe does not determine reality nor truth. That would make you god. But you ARE NOT god. You don't control the universe. You cannot change reality. Let's try an experiment. At about midnight stand in the middle of the road just around a corner where it is hard to be seen... at night, wearing all black. When headlights start lighting up the curve, just believe that whatever is coming does not exist. Stand firm, if you don't believe a vehicle is coming, then nothing is coming. You are perfectly safe... until reality hits.
You are now standing before Jesus. You are dead. It's judgment day. You don't want to believe it's Jesus and you will be judged. But it is. That's reality.
Judgment only takes a moment, the verdict is obvious, and you know it is correct. You are guilty. You've lied, stolen and sexually lusted after others (Matthew 5:28)... you have disobeyed God. Trusting Jesus is the only answer, but it's too late. You had your last chance just before you died.
You know it's no use to protest, but still you scream out, 'I didn't know!'
But you did know. All of creation declared God's glory, His invisible attributes, and His power. You have no excuse. You willingly rejected Jesus Christ (God).
Is this you? Are you saying, 'Hell isn't so bad, I'll be with my friends.' You know that's not true. There are no friends in hell. No beer... not even water to cool your lips. There is NOTHING good in hell.
So I beg you, consider these words. Trust Jesus as having paid your penalty for every way you've have rejected God. Trust Jeus to save you from hell and bring you into the presense of God.
Trust Jesus. Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. - Acts 16:31